Game date: Mirtul 20 – Argon 1, 1365
Characters Involved: Thane, Korra, Luna, Tinkerson
• The team is taken into protective custody
• Luna becomes annoyed and turns her room upside down
• Korrah is somewhat disturbed that after only five days, she is without her freedom again
• As the team is escorted off the ship, it is noticed by a few that caged spell casters are being taken out of the ship.
• Lin’Konze was one of the chained and caged spell casters.
• The team is taken before the king.
• Thane notices something strange about Count Kozen as he exits the throne room.
• The King thanks the team, but warns them that their lives may still be in jeopardy as they have been made aware of secrets that they should not know.
• The team hears the name Akatze Witness.
• He gives them a reward and liberty until he can decide what he should do with them.
• Korrah, Luna and Thane try getting more from the Five Winds Recovery.
• Tinkerson goes the Temple of Cyriss and reports to High Priestess Rowena.
• Thane, Korrah and Luna visit the Gibolocks Savings and Loan. Thane deposits his money in the banks, Luna exchanges money and Korrah decides against the idea.
• Thane, Korrah and Luna stay the night at the Emerald Dagger.
• Thane hears the name Rinspoke for the first time.
• Tinkerson stays at the temple.
• The team is summoned early in the morning to the King’s presence.
• They witness the king’s son, Prince Roderick, leaving the throne room. Mumbled word are exchanged, and the prince leaves unhappy, meeting up with a mysterious friend.
• The king makes an offer the team cannot refuse; be his eyes and ears in the city and help him stabilize the kingdom answerable only to the king, reporting to Amdius.
• The king sets the team up in district 2. They are given a house and a stipend.
• Thane begins searching the warehouse district looking for information on Rinspoke. After a few days, he notices that lizard men guard a few places. He gets into a brawl with a set of lizard men, killing one before he runs away.
• Korrah begins studying reading and writing. She dreams about airships and visits the docks as often as she can.
• Luna begins setting up the workshops in the house; basement for clockwork and gunsmithing and the top level for steamwork.
• Tinkerson begins setting up his spy network starting by finding street urchins to keep him informed. He starts with Benedict and Lerin. He hires their mother as house keeper and cook.
• Morning of the 1st Benedict comes to the team with a problem. The parents of a friend of his, Patsy, have gone missing and the Shields will not investigate, they are not sure there is reason enough to do so. The team visits the house of Patsy and notice a faint trail of blood that leads down a manhole.
From the Journal of the Tinkerson
Mirtil 21, 1365
It is difficult for me sometime to relate to those native to Salus. I mean, life for them has no meaning and in the end, they have no reward. I hate this place with great passion; I must leave this gods forsaken place. I came so close to losing my eternal spirit stuck without my eternal reward far from the grace of the Selderine and my very own Maiden of Gears. The irony of it does not escape me at all. We dark elves have only recently regained out grace, the chance to be in the accepted once again into the fair realm and here I have been banished to this realm.
Let me explain, earlier today my comrades and I saved the kings own Artificer from certain death and retrieved a valuable artifact for him. As a reward, we were placed under gun point and placed under protective custody. Upon arriving back in Mercadia we were taking to the King. I expected that he would let us go, but that was not the case. He intimated that he was not sure what to do with us and it seems that death was one of the options that he had for us. Amdius took us on a tour down to his work shop. He took us on a fast moving device that took us deep underground. There we saw the first of red books. Amdius placed the second one next to the first. He told us that these books were manuals that told how to repair the machines of the ancients.
It was very hard for me to hold in my rage, I was able to channel it into fear. The king gave us liberty and a reward telling us that he would be in contact when he had made his decision of our fate. I felt betrayed. Our very willingness to fulfill our contract turned to bitter ash in my mouth. But it became clear that this was one more test for me. So, I thrust my faith in the goddess and play my part for I am just a cog in the wheel.
Back at the temple, I spoke with priestess Rowena. She explained to me the background behind the king’s concern. There are forces at work behind the scene that blame technology and magic for many woes on Salus. The king is trying to bring back the wonders as it was before the coming of black vein plague. The Aketze Witness and their leader, called the Prophet, have been opposed to the return of magic and technology. She told me that the leader claims that he was the last person to actually speak with a deity and all those who claim that have are blasphemers. She told me of a small group of them in town, I have decided to keep a wide berth from them. A religious war is something I really would like to avoid. She promised me that she would do what she could to keep the king from killing me. I felt relieved at that moment.
That night I felt peace. After restocking and purchasing better gear, I tithed and cleansed my soul. I was ready for what may come and I am now at peace.
This day turned out wonderfully. The path the goddess has laid out before me is a burden I gladly shoulder. I compare this task like that of being a master mechanic on great steam powered colossus. We shall be engineers and caretakers. I see it clearly. The blueprint shall be laid and it will be glorious.
This morning the king called us early before him. He gave us an opportunity, be his agents and help him make a better future for Mercadia. I see the pain in his eyes. He sees all around him in jeopardy. I don’t know the current political state, but we all accepted the opportunity. So Amdius takes us to our new dwelling in district 2.
I took the opportunity to start my job. We needed information on what is going on in the city. As strangers, we knew nothing about the city. So I took it upon myself to find some informants. I found a pair of street urchins, Benedict and Lerin. It took some doing, but I convinced them that I was looking to make a difference. To be of help for those who need it the most, I pledged to them to be there. They took me at my word and said that they would put me to the test. I was able to get their mother as our housekeeper and cook.
All is turning out as it should; the goddess’ plan is at work I can feel it. I will not let her down, I will not doubt. If I stay on course, I will be freed from this and her glory be done. I spend my days in the second district and my nights at the temple. I work with Luna in the shop at times. Her brilliance is amazing. At times, though, she is scary as her mind wanders.
This morning Benedict came to the house in a frazzled state. One of his friend’s parents are missing. He came to us for help. Well the team has agreed. I pen this to be continued.
The following is a telling of events by Thane Wyndancer.
25th of Mirtul
Dese last few days have been very interesting. We arrived at de Castle in Mercadia de same day we left, widin a few hours of leaving de dig site. Our stuf was taken from us and at gunpoint we were forced into…decent rooms on de Spelljammer…but under gunpoint none-de-less. De trip was…smooth…like we weren’t even moving at all threw de sky. De ground was moving so fast and yet…de ride was so smooth it was nuting like de caravan rides here.
We arrived and disembarked and I saw dis disturbing ting. From de hold of de ship a cage was rolled out. Dere were…people in dis ting and dey were hooked up to dese odd machines. All of de people looked ragged and worn and…and I disliked de look of dat thing. Eventualle de Shields came out and, soon, we were escorted into de castle by de Shields and dey had dese really neat swords wid dose glowing tings in dem. Wid my limited knowledge of dese steamcrafty tings it could either heat de blade up, or charge de blade wid electricity. Also…dat would hurt a lot to get hit wid.
I made sure dat my soulmelds were all deformed so dat I didn’t scare anybody. De beastial forms dat dese tings represent put people on edge. Dese people aren’t familiar wid dese beasts except in dat…coliseum fighting dat goes on.
Anyways, de Shields started to bring us in to de castle and, as I looked towards the large doors that seemed to lead to de Throne room, was a man dressed head to toe in black leather and dem steampunk gadgets. You couldn’t see any of dat mans skin. I couldn’t decipher his steam punk tings on his body, dey were to complex for myne knowledge. However, dis man was talked about greatle during de dig. He was Count Kozen, de ruling noble over de Residential district. Apparentle he had gotten soft compared to his earlier years, lowering taxes and the like. I made note to look dis man up later. I’m sure dis Count has some great tings in his house for de taking.
We were put into separate rooms for about 30 minutes, maybe longer. I just laid on de bed and rested. We were gotten by a Shield and brought to de main throne room. De King of Mercadia was in dere to greet us. He told us dat, although we did what he wanted us to do, we were also dangerous because we knew something dat he didn’t want us to know. While he didn’t tell us outright, it sounded like he was going to have us executed or killed but den he spoke about hiring us as his right arm in de city. Regardless, he could not decide den, so he had one of de guards bring in a chest. In dis chest was 4 sovereigns worth of money. He told us dat dis should “buy our silence until he can decide what to do wid us.”
We all took de money and split it between us, one sovereign for each person. Den we went our separate ways out of de castle, after collecting our gear. I didn’t buy much wid my sovereign, instead opting to put it in one of de banks in de Market District of de town.
At dis bank I deposited all of myne money, only retrieving dese very odd bank notes for half of it. After dis I went back to de Emerald Dagger, one of my favorite inns in dis city, if not de favorite. Upon arriving I ordered a mug of ale, a room, and de girl dat I had on my first night in de city. I didn’t know her name, but I gave her description to de person dat was taking my…order…and went up a few minutes later.
De girl at my room was indeed de same girl dat I had wanted to speak to. Once again dressed in dat all too sexy lingerie at de edge of my bed. Grinning I told de girl to sit down and asked her name. She told me dat it was Jailil and asked what I wanted to know. I asked her about why she was in dis line of work, and she told me dat her parents, who were dead, had a debt to a man named Rimspoke. Dey sold her into slavery to dis man and it still wasn’t enough.
I let de girl go and gave her a talon for de information dat she gave me. Hopefully she got to keep de talon dat I gave her and spent it on something she wanted. She was a beauty…and I think I might see her more often.
In de morning Shields woke me up rather rudely…around de 1st hour or so. Me and my fellows were taken back to de Castle and led directly into de throne room. Dey were whispering about something and I remembered de face of de man standing next to de king. Dis had to be Prince Modrick who was “lovingly” known as the Bastard Prince. He looked the same age of his father which couldn’t be right…as his father has to be at least a hundred years old. Dis man was not the favorite to take over when his father passed on.
De King had made his decision. He decided to take us on as his Right arm with Amdius as our…contact persay between us and de King.
On a side note, dere were dese things called Steam Jacks in dere. Dere are only a few of dese working. I believe dat dese were keyed to protect de royal bloodline…and den de King told us dat exact thing.
We were left to our own for nearly a week, given an apartment in the residential district, and told dat we would be contacted.
I tried to find de Street Rats in de factory district, see if anybody knew anything but I couldn’t seem to catch the little bastards. However, patrolling de areas around certain building were dese lizard men. I decided to approach one of dem and after asking a few questions finally figured out dat dese men specifically protected Rimspoke’s buildings. Unfortunately it came to blows and I was forced to kill one of de Lizardmen. It was…regrettable but it had to be done. I ran and found my way home quickly, dropping whatever soulmelds I had. I couldn’t shape the ones I had on for a few days…if not a month or so. Just until de lizardmen forget.